|Based on||MAngband 1.x, TomeNET 3.1.4, Angband 4.1.3|
|Released||June 30, 2007 (0.9.9)|
|Updated||Jan 04, 2020 (1.3.0 build 11)|
PWMAngband is basically a complex multiplayer dungeon simulation. A player creates a character, choosing from a variety of races and classes, and then plays that character over a period of days, weeks, even months on a dedicated server.
The player will begin his adventure on the town level where he may acquire supplies, weapons, armor, and magical devices by buying from various shop owners. Then the player can descend into the Pits of Angband, where he will explore the many levels of the dungeon, gaining experience by killing fierce creatures, collecting powerful objects and valuable treasure, and returning to town occasionally to buy and sell supplies. Eventually, as the player grows more experienced, he may attempt to win the game by defeating Morgoth, the Lord of Darkness, who resides far below the surface.
PWMAngband is available for Windows systems, although it can be played under Linux by simply using WinE. It is written in C, and the source code is freely available.
See the Official PWMAngband Forum Page at http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 for up to date information about the latest version of PWMAngband, including a complete list of recent modifications. Feel free to post compliments, complaints, suggestions, bug reports...
A Note from the Maintainer
I have been playing MAngband and TomeNET since 1999, enjoying both of these multiplayer variants of Angband. Unfortunately, I was frustrated with the minimal amount of races and classes of MAngband (which is actually a basic multiplayer variant of Angband), and the overgrowing complexity of TomeNET (which is already based on an Angband variant, ToME).
In 2007, the MAngband community made the MAngband source code easily available through a svn repository, with a development website allowing to track any change in the source code. This was the basic framework I was waiting for to start my own variant. So in April 2007, I started to implement basic features from TomeNET 3.x into the MAngband code: races, classes, monsters, objects... (check the whole story here: http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1020).
And finally PWMAngband was born! Since that time, I have continued to implement new features (and fix bugs...), while adding the new improvements from both vanilla Angband and MAngband.
Features specific to PWMAngband
- The "Dragon" race: you evolve from a weak baby dragon to a powerful ancient wyrm as you advance in levels; you cannot use weapons, but instead you get special physical attacks (claw/bite) and a breath attack
- The "Elementalist" class: a mage specialized in the four elements (Air, Fire, Earth, Water) and all their combinations, to produce devastating offensive spells
- The "Summoner" class: priests of nature with very low stats, but capable of calling for help in battle to overcome their weaknesses
- The "Expensive Black Market": a Black Market with very high quality items at an outrageous price; you may post orders for specific items and the store will keep them in its inventory until you can afford them
- New post-win monsters/uniques: those levels below 5000ft are finally populated with challenging critters!
- A wilderness area with multiple towns and dungeons: not as developped as in TomeNET, but enhanced compared to MAngband
- Compatibility with Zeno's Necklace of the Eye frontend
- And many more small improvements and bugfixes...
New features in PWMAngband 1.3.0
- New Druid and Blackguard classes
- Mage, Priest, Necromancer, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Sorcerer, Archer, Telepath, Summoner updated with improved spells
- Framework for more than 255 terrain types
- Countless amounts of small changes -- see changes.txt or announcement on http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9594 for the full list
- tangaria.com, new PWMAngband server.