|Updated||2019 November 10 (GYTRASH)|
|Official site of FreeLarn|
FreeLarn was first released in 2017 by Gibbon.
FreeLarn was the culmination of over 2 years of work to rewrite Larn (12.4.4) sufficiently to re-license it under a free software license.
A few features which are unique to FreeLarn:
- The Great Lance of Death is replaced with the Great Sword of Death (because a Lance isn't a very fearsome weapon).
- Additions of a Prayer Book, a Ghani Statue, Candles and a Fire Tunic which each have their uses and to build upon the thin religious layer that wasn't developed in the original Larn (only altars, praying etc..).
- The Volcano is replaced with the Temple of Larn (because nobody slips into a trap door under a Volcano)
- The doors of the Temple of Larn will burn the player unless a Fire Tunic is equipped.
- Randomized mazes each time a player leaves and re-enters a level.
- Known mazes will become unknown upon loading a saved game (for difficulty and to prevent cheating).
- Hunger has been added to increase realism and difficulty but without irritating the player too much.
Platforms and versions
FreeLarn runs on most UNIX/UNIX-Like systems and on Windows. The game is architecture independent and can be compiled on ARM, x86 and x64, MIPS, PPC etc...
As of June 12 2019 FreeLarn is now C++11 (from C++17).